The History of Christmas

11:47 PM

In this post, I want to talk about the history of Christmas, the real one. 

I'm gonna start off by saying that Christmas started out as a pagan holiday called 'Saturnalia'. This isn't really big news but I'm only getting started. 

'Saturnalia' is a week long celebration wherein each Roman community will pick a victim to represent the 'Lord of Misrule' and this victim will indulge in food and other physical pleasures for a whole week, at the end of this week they brutally kill the victim thinking that this would destroy the forces of evil. In addition to all of this, people would also get heavily drunk, go from house to house while singing naked, raping people, eating human-shaped cookies (gingerbread man?), and many more.

So, how did a celebration like this become Christmas for us? Christian leaders thought that taking this festival and making it a Christian celebration would turn the pagan masses into Christians. Their problem was that ' Saturnalia' had nothing to do with Christianity, so to remedy this, they named 'Saturnalia's' concluding day (December 25) as the day of Jesus Christ's birth. 

Christmas is a lie! They say that it's the day of Christ's birth! They have millions believing it; even I believed it, but of course, thanks to google, I know better. 

Pope Paul II actually forced Jews to run naked through the streets of Rome to amuse the Roman citizen and it is said that the Jews were richly fed before the race so as to make it harder for them and more amusing for the Romans.

Anyway, before I start cursing those Christian leaders who made up the lie, I will talk about some of the most popular Christmas traditions. I'll try not to ruin your view on these things, like I probably did with the Christmas thing.

1. Mistletoe
'Kissing under the mistletoe' is actually a later synthesis of the sexual license of Saturnalia with the Druidic sacrificial cult. Druid rituals use mistletoe to poison their human sacrificial victim.


2. Christmas Trees
Pagans worship trees and some even take the trees into their houses and decorate them. This has been observed and adapted by Christianity, making it a little more Christian-like.

3. Presents
In Rome, before Christianity, emperors made their most hated citizens to give them gifts. This later expanded into an exchange of gifts among the countrymen.The Catholic Church made this more Christian-like by tracing it back to the supposed gift-giving of Saint Nicholas a.k.a Santa Claus. 


4. Santa Claus 
Santa Claus is a mixture of a pagan god, Christian crusader, and commercial star.It's a long story and I'm too tired to write everything down here so go google it if you're curious.


Before I end this post, I just need to say that I don't mean to offend anybody with my anger towards a few Christian leaders. I can understand why they did it, I just believe that it was wrong and I merely wanted to show my opinion in this. 

Hope ya'll are having great holidays (and that I didn't ruin Christmas for you)!

-Auds :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hi guys! Thank you for stopping by our blog. We really appreciate it if you've taken the time to leave a comment. Though it will take some time, we will do our best to reply to each one of you. :)

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Stalk Us

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Kimi has read 3 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide