BOOK IN REVIEW: The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant by Joanna Wiebe

3:28 PM






Title: The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant
Author: Joanna Wiebe
Publisher: BenBella Books
Hardcover: 272 pages
Rating: 3/5

Anne Merchant is an outcast (and rather poor) who is sent to a mysterious school that consists of mainly rich students in Wormwood Island by her father. She begins to wonder why the school seems so odd and why the students treat being sent there as a punishment though the school is very nice. She asks herself why the villagers aren't allowed to cross the red line separating the village from the school. She slowly finds the answers to these questions and along the way, she gains and loses friends, she loves and loses, she gets in trouble, meets a guy she'll like, she faces betrayal and many more.

The poor-girl-in-rich-school story is actually a bit overused but I liked the book anyway. It's hard to explain what I like about this book but I'll try my best.

Some of the things that I didn't like about this book is how Anne seems to be very judgemental even though she has stated that she herself is an outcast. She is also able to know what the nationality of a person is by just looking at them which seems a bit improbable. Anne is one of my biggest problems in this book, she is not a terrible heroine, but she definitely wasn't my favorite. Another problem was how whenever the book shows an event in class, it's always art class. I think that maybe the book should have had events on other classes too.

Although the main character is a bit hard to like, the story itself was not bad. It took me a long time to get past the first half of the book but when I reached the second half, I simply couldn't put the book down. As the mysteries were slowly unraveled, I found myself feeling the character's frustration about how she doesn't know exactly what's going on and about how the parts she couldn't understand were so frustrating. The whole book was planned out and the plot was original. I wasn't very shocked by the revelations but that doesn't really matter to me since the book was great anyway. One of the other things that I didn't like in this book was that Anne and Ben didn't really seem to me like they were meant for each other. I was rooting for Anne and Pilot (one of her only friends in the school) from the very start so I was thoroughly disappointed by... Something that I won't tell you since I plan to put no spoilers on this review. I quickly forgot about my disappointment though because the rest of this book was great and definitely worth reading.

I would like to thank the author for providing me a copy of The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant. I enjoyed this book very much and will definitely read the sequel. For anyone who is looking for a thrilling and original read, this is the perfect book for you.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Great review! The book doesn't seem too interested, but I could give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you for stopping by our blog. We really appreciate it if you've taken the time to leave a comment. Though it will take some time, we will do our best to reply to each one of you. :)

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Stalk Us

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Kimi has read 3 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide