Book in Review: The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher

10:44 AM

Title: The Opportunist
Author: Tarryn Fisher
Publishing Date: November 14th, 2011
Rating: 2/5 stars

Summary:


Olivia Kaspen has just discovered that her ex-boyfriend, Caleb Drake, has lost his memory. With an already lousy reputation for taking advantage of situations, Olivia must decide how far she is willing to go to get Caleb back. Wrestling to keep her true identity and their sordid past under wraps, Olivia’s greatest obstacle is Caleb’s wicked, new girlfriend; Leah Smith. It is a race to the finish as these two vipers engage in a vicious tug of war to possess a man who no longer remembers them. But, soon enough Olivia must face the consequences of her lies, and in the process discover that sometimes love falls short of redemption.




DO YOU HAVE ANY FUCKING IDEA HOW MUCH THIS BOOK DESTROYED ME?!?!?!
I don't even know how to properly rate this but at this point I'm torn between crying my head off and destroying everything I see within a 5-mile radius.

I do NOT recommend you to read this book. It made me feel ugly, bad and sick. Do not read it unless you are an incredible masochist and would like to feel the pain.

Moving on to something much more proper and coherent, I cannot say that I like this book, because I DIDN'T. It held my interest long enough for me to finish it, but I found the story super unrealistic and also very very frustrating. The main character is a big bitch - and I am serious; she's manipulative, evil and hurts people to get what she wants, because apparently she has daddy and mommy issues (which aren't really an excuse to act that way to be honest). I wasn't sure if I hated her for it but there were many many instances when I wanted to scream and knock some sense into her. She is something though, and I agree with Noah in the end when he says that she does leave a big impression on people.

The love interest Caleb is confusing, not because he's a jock who also likes reading and has this somehow split persona, but because man, this guy is just as messed up as our MC. <SPOILER; highlight to read>
 I cannot comprehend how he could think that it is okay to cheat on your girlfriend just because she is not ready to tell you she loves you or have sex with you, and then walk in on her after, cheating too, because she got hurt from what you did, and then walk away thinking she was the one who did everything wrong and hurt all your feelings? NO, NO, NO!!! You are BOTH wrong and stupid and crazy and messed up, and you ALSO hurt her feelings! And pretending you have amnesia like you don't know your ex-girlfriend, (who you are, by the way, still in love with) and going to all sorts of places to stalk her 3 years later, and allowing her back into your life and messing with her feelings and her whole entire life is JUST FUCKING MESSED UP. PEOPLE DO NOT DO THAT!!!! I'm not saying Olivia isn't to be blamed but Caleb is the one who actually started it all with his lying and pretending about amnesia thing, which by the way is the stupidest thing ever, because it's impossible for him to not recognize her AT ALL with all the time he spent with her that time. YOU EVEN WENT CAMPING IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ALREADY HAD CAMPING BEFORE! And when Olivia this time really leaves him, like for real, he continues stalking her and even coercing her to be the lawyer for his wife's case, even if said wife is ALSO crazy and very guilty of what she is accused of. WHY IS EVERYONE IN THIS BOOK CRAZY?

The only character I did like was Cammie, because she felt so genuine to me, and so cute, like a little sister I wish I had. It was also nice to meet Noah in the end because he is very mature compared to all these characters, who are supposedly adults, but hey, we all do crazy things for love, don't we?

I don't want to reveal anything more about the story except that it hurt my feelings a lot. I felt bad after reading it and immediately regretted that I even picked up this book. I guess I'm not the type of person who can stomach in something this ugly. The ending is bittersweet, and I found it to be quite realistic, but thought it made everything that happened useless.

I took away 2 stars because there are some scenes that felt rapey for me and I really felt uncomfortable with one specific scene (which I shall not divulge because I do NOT want to talk about it). I don't want to go into specifics when it comes to this because like I said, it makes me feel really tense to even remember it. But I have to say that I will take at least 1-2 stars just for anything in a book that bothers me in that way. Then I took away 1 star because I didn't like this book for all the reasons listed above. The remaining 2 stars I left because the writing is pretty good, the plot well developed, and there's much emotional depth into the story even if it did drive me crazy. The flashback scenes are cute and I wish I could've had a book that told a story about teenage love instead. I still don't recommend this to anyone, unless you are a sucker for NA romance that will kill you and make you cry.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hi guys! Thank you for stopping by our blog. We really appreciate it if you've taken the time to leave a comment. Though it will take some time, we will do our best to reply to each one of you. :)

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Stalk Us

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Kimi has read 3 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide